Jul 12, 2012

Some fruit tips

I thought everyone knew these things, but apparently, I was wrong.  So, here are my tips for fruit that I have been doing forever.  (However, I have yet to use this tip for the apple, but I have seen it at the pool and on Pinterest lately.)

Bananas- separate the banana bunch if you think you might not get to all of them quick enough and they turn over ripe before your family gets to eat them.  By separating them, they ripen less quickly.

Grapes- as soon as you get them, and then take them off the vine and dry them, and they hold forever!  If left on the vine, they soften quicker.

Apples- after you cut apples, you need to dip in a little lemon juice to stop the oxidizing process (browning) however, I have seen the rubber band trick at use and on Pinterest, and wonder if you need to lemon juice it to stop the browning.  Using an apple corer/slicer, cut the apple, and then take all the pieces out of the cutter, and then put back together and put a rubber band around to hold together.  Great for lunch boxes.  Will test the theory soon enough.  Not having to use the lemon juice would entice me.  However, the lemon juice is undetectable when you bite into the fruit.

Watermelon- You get a huge watermelon, cut half, cover the other half with plastic wrap, throw that back in the fridge, and then have to cut up the half in front of you.  Unless you eat a lot of watermelon and fast, if you cut it into small pieces off the rind, it seems to ooze it's water, and make the bowl go yucky, quicker than your family can get to it.  (I don't have this problem, usually, as I can eat half a watermelon by myself in a sitting.  I get sick, but I CAN do it.) Don't ask me to show you... I have a busy week coming up, and the after effects aren't pretty.  However, I began cutting the watermelon into little pizza slices shapes with the rind on it, and it gives you something to hold onto, and seems to ooze less and hold in a plastic bag or container much longer.

We don't eat a lot of different fruits besides the standards, but those are our little hints to help prolong the stability of them.  Happy eating!  

No comments:

Post a Comment