Aug 2, 2012

What do we stand for?

What do we stand for?  I am clearly in the know about what we don't stand for, but not really what seems ethical and what seems moral.  So supporting an overpriced piece of fried chicken, that's okay.  But treating some demographics without respect, that's okay?   Killing unborn babies... okay.  But killing a baby out of the womb, not okay?  Just trying to make this all clear, since all I have been hearing about it what is NOT acceptable.  Well, I will allow each person to make their own choices, and let someone higher than me make the final judgement.  That is saying a lot, since I have a mouth, and I use it.  However, the one thing I have learned over the past week or so?  My sins are no better than yours.  I will have to reconcile mine like you will have to reconcile yours.

While I appreciate free speech, I have to appreciate it from someone else, and from other beliefs.  I have to also be responsible about how I share the world with my children, so that they, one day, will be able to be respectful, yet hopefully, share my values.  G-d willing.

PS  There is a song that basically says the same... We all know what it is we stand against, but do we really think of what we stand for?  That concept was not new.

The picture?  It represents my beliefs.  First, a five year old is freely allowed to choose to wear this hair do to school.  IF someone thinks badly about her upon seeing this 'do, then shame on them.  If we are to teach our children, then we are to lead by example.  IF I had sent my child to her first day of school rockin' this pokey mohawk, and a teacher or child based an opinion on her due to that style, then I think there is more wrong than just a funky 'do.  I spoke with a person, who we will call "Grandma" for the remainder of the topic, who felt like this would not be the best choice of hair do's for the first day.  "Grandma" says, "What will the teachers think?  What will the other kids think?  Wouldn't want her to be teased."  No.  I don't want her to be teased.  But I want her to be true to who she is, and not change herself to blend in with the norm.  That day, she chose a different 'do, and one day, someone I love might chose to make a choice that seems wrong to me.  However, I must love that person, and accept that each of us must stand in judgement on their own.  Not by me.  But BESIDE me.

1 comment:

  1. ADDENDUM.. this emailed message came from the person we are calling "Grandma," however she was not aware that she was able to post a comment here. I will do it for her, since she wanted it here. She, "Grandma," is not judegemental, however, she and I have come to accept a generational difference that appearances are not as important as behaviors. This is the message I received...

    I am ALL for everyone expressing themselves. However, was the mohawk Shay's usual hairstyle? Was this indicative of who Shay is? I truly am not happy that first impressions make such a definitive view of how we are perceived by others. But there you have it.
    I am wholeheartedly behind everyone being who they are, and feel that the many funky and fun looks that you and Shay devise for her from time to time are great diversions from usual looks SHE usually opts for. Just wanted her classmates and teacher to see her and not her hair on her first day. You still remember the flower pot hair-do I did your hair up for the Middle School dance. In retrospect, the do was too sophisticated for your age group. It was really a pretty "do". In any case, I am all for Shay experimenting with different looks and proudly enjoying the looks that make her feel good. All people deserve their individuality. Amen. Grandma

    ReplyDelete