Aug 19, 2012

The blog in which I talk about losing her innocence

It finally happened.  My sweet and innocent little girl has begun lying.  I am devastated.  I mean, she has dropped a few minor lies over the past year or so, but I can literally count on one hand each of those.  However, today was two, and the first one I caught immediately, but the second one... not so much.  And that made me sad.  I know it is very developmental, but it's like a part of her is gone- innocence.  I wanted her to remain pure forever, and that's the part of raising kids that is hard for me.  I feel like she has changed.   She is getting bossier, less patient, speaking harshly, and I think she even rolled her eyes at me a few times in the last few weeks, and I just laughed it off.  I think she will be Madonna's protege by the end of the month if I don't get a leash on her 'tude.

Obviously, this grown up little girl has
come into her own.  She is confident, funny,
full of grace, humility,
and too smart for this mommy some days.
But I love her like mad!  Photo © Erin Ahrens 2012
While I DO want my children to have a mind of their own, and to follow their heart, I also want them to balance compassion, and love with honesty.  I work really hard to teach my children to appreciate what they have been blessed with, and to see how special and loved they are.  Each child has met orphans, served the hungry, and donated to the poor.  But now, after all I have done to raise social awareness, kindness, love, forgiveness, and acceptance, I somehow missed out on the lying trait.

What do I do to teach the importance of staying in the trust zone?  That is what I will work on this coming week.  Anyone have some great advice for us?  And even a sympathetic nod of "we've all be there before?"
She made this pose on the first day of her
dance class last week.  Sorta' Marilyn-ish?
Photo © Erin Ahrens 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment