Nov 6, 2012

The blog in which it's a life lesson, not a sweatshop.

Shay is working on saving up $112.  She wanted a doll that will not be sold come January, so we purchased the doll, and it sits in our closet for her to see, each day.  It is a great incentive.  However, we do not off allowance.  I have a very well thought out plan for teaching money, and handing my children  money is not part of that.  Geoff and I don't have the money, but if we did, we still would not hand it to them.

I expect that each of us in this family will contribute to household chores, because we live here- not because we are getting paid.  Cleaning up their toys, making their beds, putting their clothes into the washing machine, bringing their dishes to the sink, setting the table, feeding Brody, etc. are all things that are part of living in our home.  However, dusting (with a wipe),  watering the garden in the summer, or helping with laundry are all time consuming, and necessary jobs that help out Mom and Dad in this house.  I think that at five years old, with a birthday coming up in mere weeks and Christmas on the way, this doll is attainable in the near future.  However, I refuse to pay for a doll that costs over $100.  She has one Bitty Baby and a Julie doll, both from American Girl.  My parents insisted on indulging her these dolls her last two birthdays, and while I love that she enjoys them both so much, I find it hard to wrap my brain around that amount of money for a doll when that is nearly two weeks of our groceries!

And so, my daughter earned herself fifteen cents this morning by sorting, folding, and delivering all of our laundry.  (I do laundry each day, and if she chooses to do all three of those steps, she has potential to earn over a dollar a week.)  I have already calculated how much she will be getting for her birthday and Christmas from family, and believe she will have the money come January, if all things stay equal.  She also has potential to earn another dollar a week as I allot one dollar, per kid, per week, for the PTA fundraiser, "Duck for a Buck."  If she saves that, that is an additional $4 a month towards the doll.

Instead of feeling bad for this child who has to work for her money, feel grateful that she has a mom that is teaching this generation about working hard and saving.  We lead by example, and this child is seeing her parents spending within their means, giving of time/talent/treasures, and to value and appreciate what she does have.
This morning she earned 15 cents by doing the clean clothes.  (Sorted, folded and delivered to each person.)  

With tax, $112.  This is the doll of the year, McKenna.  She is a gymnast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment