Nov 19, 2012

The blog in which I share my inexpensive bathroom cleaner.

I feel a little cheated.  So, these so called "friends" on Facebook are holding out on me. I posed an open question a few months ago as I began seriously considering our budget and how to streamline it.  I found a fantastic laundry detergent recipe that I made and have have been using and sharing with anyone within arms' reach over the past couple of months.  I knew that I could probably come up with other housecleaning supplies through the same sort of "make it for less with less harmful ingredients" style if I just asked my frugal momma friends.  Well, I was wrong.  I got nothing.  Well, I got a generic "Try using vinegar."  "I use baking soda."  "Try the two together."

Look people- that did not help me.  I didn't know how to use it.  I needed more than that, and while I love Pinterest, there wasn't a super "recipe" that "sang" to me.  (Yes- I need to be crooned by my household cleaners.  It's a character flaw.  I recognize that.)  The baking soda is great, but not easy to dispense and can get costly if using on showers.  The vinegar STINKS!  Well, you all know I am really a clean freak.  I love a clean house, and a couple of years ago when "steamers" were all the rage, I invested in a top of the line steamer, that used all $500 of my Discover Cashback award bonus.  Yes, and just a few weeks ago,  we loaded it into some passerbyer's trunk as we shoved other "Take it-It's all free to the first person who wants it!" It was a ton of work and time working with that "detail your car worthy" piece of junk that had attachments to only clean a section the size of your thumb nail at a time.  Would their ever been a real answer to less chemicals and less money for cleaning my bathrooms?

Yes.  I am living proof that there is a Santa, Virginia.  Oh wait.  Wrong story.

Yes, I found it on Pinterest, but I am modifying it, and after I posted on Facebook yesterday asking if anyone had heard of this "recipe," you mo' fo's crawling out of the woodwork to share you ongoing relationship with this cleaner.  WTH?  Whatever.  I will share the good, the bad, and the stinky with you now.

First, I walked up to the Family Dollar with the fam. and purchased the largest blue Dawn they had and one spray bottle.  I had the vinegar at home.  (It's old, since you only use so much of that each Easter when decorating eggs.)  Never the less, we had enough to mix up a batch.  So, I spent $4 and walked my tail home and got started.

Directions say add one part of each white vinegar and blue Dawn.  (It actually said 12 oz to 12 oz, but I am going to make larger batches, therefore, you do the math.)  It said to heat the vinegar in the microwave and at to a SPRAY BOTTLE.  Then, add the Dawn, and the heat will help to mix the two when you swirl it a bit.  Okay, then spray, and using a scrubby type of brush, gently clean and rinse.  Okay, the whole thing seemed really simple, and cheap, so even if it didn't work, I wouldn't get my panties in a wad over a few bucks.

First job I tackled was the kitchen sink.  The before and after's were gorgeous.  Where are they?  On my Facebook page.  Sorry.  Was it smelly?  Yes, but not too bad that I wouldn't use it.  Next, the master bathroom.  Sink and shower.  WHEW!  That shower part was overwhelming.  I had to cover my nose with my shirt.  The little hair in my nostrils singed a bit.  It's all okay.  As soon as I posted about that, April jumped in with, "I use that and I water mine down a bit."  Wait the F up!  Where were you earlier in the day?  I needed this input PRIOR to my facial hair shriveling up without chemical warfare!  I'd have to say though, Lindsey came in with the best tidbit of info when she shared that while it was effective, it did produce a lot of suds.  True that sista'.  I like to rinse away my Scrubbing Bubbles and see the immediate fruits of my lack of labor when I rinse that stuff away.  But after working with this, I'd have to say that leaving each of the sprayed surfaces for five minutes was equivalent to my time spent working on a "Scrubbing Bubbles" surface, and while I had a sudden desire for potato chips, when I got some of the solution on my hands, I did not immediately become frantic like I had a chemical on my hand.  Each surface cleaned provided my "shiny"look I so love.  Another FB'er commented on how she leaves the solution in her shower and just uses one of the wand sponges that she just wipes down the shower surface with when she is done.  I am not a fan of that smell sticking around, so I am not as excited about that, but THAT was exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.

So, while I don't have all the before and after's here, you can try it yourself and let me know how it works for you! Oh wait!  I found one "after" I hadn't deleted yet.  I'll throw you a bone.  You're welcome!   This is a TEN YEAR OLD ruined fiberglass shower.  Ruined from years of cleaning with harsh, abrasives that I didn't know would couse damage ;o(  Pretty shiny, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment