Nov 2, 2012

The blog in which I divert politics.

I happen to see a viral clip of a small child who is so upset hearing about the presidential debate that she is crying. And hours later, my child gets off the bus, and sits down at the counter and tells me she is upset because her friends on the bus told her that a president is going to make all of her family go back to where they came from.  Shay was upset, since she likes this girl, and doesn't want to see her have to leave.  Here's what the conversation looked like, from Shay's recollection.

Friend- One of the presidents is going to make my family move back to where we came from.  Who are you voting for?

Shay- I don't know.

Friend- Are you voting for Obama?

Shay- NO!  I don't think.  I don't know.  I'll ask my mom when I get home.

Moments later...

Shay- Mom!  Who are we voting for?  Here's what so and so told me...blah blah blah, and so who are we voting for?

At this point, I worked VERY diligently to pick the exact words to use to explain something to a five year old that should really only be discussed amongst an older crowd.

First, my political views are that.  Mine.  Second, my child needs to be a child, and my thought is, so should yours.  Please don't let your child be afraid of things that are beyond their years.  Third, I respect your thoughts on politics, and would ask that you respect mine.  I am a way out there type of weird on politics.  I get that.  But I don't feel that my way is the perfect way.  Or the only way.  I trust that G-d will ultimately be in charge, and that I will pray for positive and healthy choices, and support WHO EVER is elected.  That is all I can do.  I do not respect anyone out there that personally attacks another for their political views, and I especially lose respect for those ridiculous social media political snippets they post thinking they might change some one's mind on their choice.

Ultimately, I refused to tell my daughter who is "right" or "wrong" for the job.  I told her to pray that the adults that make decisions for us make decisions that will glorify our Heavenly Father, and will make decisions that will positively impact us now and in the future.  I tried to explain the "lesser of two evils" bit, but as I quickly realized, she is five.  And her biggest concern by that point was if she should color or walk the dog.  I told her to do both, and vote on whether to have carrots or green pepper with her salad at dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment