Jan 25, 2013

The blog in which I am mad and we are baking dessert.

I have been more mad, but not sure when.  While I don't hold anything in, (no cough is being stifled this evening in the Ahrens household), I am attempting to not be more mad.  Trust me, my fury is not pleasant.  So, how do I unclench my jaw and salvage the rest of the Friday Family Fun Night?  We will bake, and pray that this new found recipe is going to be renamed, "Better Than Sex" bars, since that is the alternative now that I am so mad.  (We don't do the make up kind, and I am still really pissy.)

So, the recipe is a Pinterest inspired dessert, however, I am taking liberties and exchanging the M&M's with an ingredient we already had on hand, chocolate chips.  The recipe calls for more than one stick of butter, so I am assuming this might be a  Paula Deen original, even though credits can not be obtained due to the fact that some variation of this recipe is written by no less than a dozen people.  It looks to be a cross between a brownie/cookie type of bar.  I will omit the name, and just give you the recipe due to the fact that "M&M" was in the title, and seeing that we are not using them, it would seem inappropriate to use that name.


ingredients:

2 1/8 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
12 Tbsp butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled slightly
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
two cups of chocolate chips, divided

directions:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Adjust the oven rack to lower-middle position. Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk the melted butter and sugars until combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well. Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until just combined; do not over mix. Fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips and turn the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the spatula. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top and press in slightly.
Bake 25-30 minutes, until the top of the bars is light golden brown, slightly firm to the touch, and edges start pulling away from sides of pan. Cool completely before cutting.






I did the folding in portion of the recipe toward the end.  That is too hard for them.  

If you line your baking dish with foil, and spray that, you can simply lift it out of the pan to cool- and not have to wash a pan.  Double score!

We ate on my grandmother's china.  I usually use it, but let the migits once in a while.

Yummy, gooey, *almost better than sex.  But not quite.  So, looks like....

Waiting on the dessert to bake and then cool, we played games.  This is a simple game that both my migits still love.  

I am well aware that we are near February and my son still where's the Santa hat that Katie gave them from helping at Christmas Shop.  Don't judge.  We love Christmas.  The migits even wrote a letter to their elf today.  (Never going to grow up is Shay's new mantra.  I'm cool with that.)  

Dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment