Mar 8, 2013

The blog in which it's about my "special" child.

Last weekend, the migits and I were shopping and an employee was marking down some packages of meat, and placing "special" stickers on the mark downs.  The employee caught sight of my two, and made a bee line to give each of them a "special" sticker.  I had to stifle my laugh-  that was the same day my boy migit looked like a really "special" person since his jacket was tucked into his sweatpants and he was quite proud of the way he looked. 

While I joke about my migits, I do so only out of the fact that while one of them is truly "special," but not so much so that he is obvious.  Chaz was diagnosed right after he turned two.  At the time, the diagnosis was just a formality.  I had read and researched enough by that time to know that he was, and needed a professional diagnosis to begin recovering him.  I assumed wrongly, as most of the recovery was done by me, at home, with biomedical treatments and the help of one semi- DAN! doctor that I found about an hour away from our home.  (Yes, I had to drive out of my "comfort zone," but luckily, didn't need to go into an elevator to reach his office.  Freakish anxiety disorder.  Perhaps I need one of those "Special" stickers????  Don't answer that.)  

Anyway, the last few months, Charlie has commiserated about his speech.  He wants to talk like "Shayna."  (And while he wants to talk like her, he has been in this fantastical phase of idolizing her lately.  Everyone we go, he shows her off and says, "This is my sister."  He even gestures at her in the Vanna White style, as if to sell her off to a crowd.)  The sad part of this is, he recognizes that his speech impairments are severe, and the frustration for him is worsening.  It is for all of us.  

Out of no where, enters David.  David is a family friend who has gotten to know all of us through radKids.  He volunteers countless hours between coaching youth soccer teams, radKids, all the while, running an insurance business.  Oh, and he has a family as well.  (Plug for David- let him give you a free quote!  I left his office with more money in my pocket than before!  AND am getting even BETTER coverage on my home and auto policies!)  He is a local and will treat you right.  

So, David talked a little bit with Chaz about how one day things will be easier for him.  Then, David mentioned it to me, and I wonder how I came off, as David brought it up again, today.  He seemed concerned that he might have over stepped or made it uncomfortable for Chaz.  I actually thought it was great that he said something to Chaz.  Truth is, while I KNEW without a shadow of a doubt that I could recover Chaz from spinning in his own little world for hours on end at two yeas old, I have never thought about long term speech progress.  

Have I ever told Charlie that all this therapy and frustration will one day be a memory?  Have I ever believed enough to tell him that one day he WILL talk like his beloved, Shay?  No.  I have not.  Mostly because, I have not thought about that.  In reality, I know that everything I foresee for my daughter, a neurotypical six year old, is pretty much textbook.  Chaz?  This new breed of spectrum children that are writing their own books?  NOT.A.F'ing.Clue.  But the one thing I have learned?  That I have to set my mind to it, AND believe it.  If he sees me believing it, he will too.  I am my sons' biggest fan.  Biggest advocate.  Biggest supporter.  And at times, I might be his biggest disappointment, if I don't stop and do what David did for him.  David showed him that one day, he will be okay.  And if Chaz is anything like me, he probably never saw the forest through the trees of this mess we are trying to struggle though in the here and now.  Guess we all need a little reminder, huh?  Thank you, David.  For reminding this parent of a special needs child that sometimes, we need to look past today, and reach for a better tomorrow.  

PS  If you want David's information, please ask.  Quote is free and easy to get over the phone.  I would love to send some of you his direction.  You won't be sorry!  

No comments:

Post a Comment