Feb 1, 2013

The blog in which I love my family & whatever "lame" activity we do.

Today, I am validated.  My writing idol, if I really have one, mentioned how awesome Neil Patrick Harris is.  That did it for me.  If she blogs it, it must be true.  So, staying on theme, I love you Jenny Lawson!  (Even though you use curse words in an art form akin to my Aunt Carol, I still love you.)

I don't know if I really idolize her, but I do appreciate her screwy-ness.  Yep.  Yet another "Erinism."  If you spell check this nonsense, you really need to get off the blog.  Just roll with it.  Which brings me to another thing I love- FRIDAY FAMILY FUN NIGHT!  With the craziness of the last few months, I have been pretty slack about coming up with some elaborate good times.  We have still had fun, but nothing like what I used to do.  So, this morning, I threw a suggestion out there- "How about we grab some of those wood building kits we have stock piled and do a few of those?" First, the fact that I had not been pre-planning our trifecta should clue you in on my level of functioning. Then, the mere mention of doing something with a hammer should cause concern/worry/anxiety, and your fingers should be on speed dial to a nearby marriage counselor or an AA sponsor.

I post on Facebook our plans.  The neighbor, who honestly does nothing more than build a new house for himself each day, thought that sounded cool.  Awe.  Sad.  He doesn't know that there are way less "lame" things to do on a Friday night!  Like, say, watch your daughter put a pair of underwear on her head and sing a song.  Or have your son sing Jason Mraz songs with you.  Or do a silly scavenger hunt attached to a migit running around in the house (BTW- our family scavenger hunts are like a freakin' torture exercise of will- I play hard core.)  Catching fireflies on a summer night... camp fires... game night (another hard core competitive night for me)... swimming at the YMCA indoor pool...movie night...hide and seek, in the dark....oh... I think I have my inspiration again.  Looking forward to making a less "lame" adventure for us next week.  In the mean time....

How is it that I have found myself not fully throwing myself into our family fun?  Super Saturday and Sunday Funday are fairly easy to improvise, but Fridays?  Meh.  I realized, that it really doesn't matter what we do, but that we do it together.  I love to hang with my migits and my man.  I love to laugh, sing, dance, and do all these things with my family.  I don't care if we are doing something "lame" or not.  I love my life.

Finished product.  Took about an hour.  Yes, they are essentially boxes with wheels.  Don't ask.  

That can't be right. 

That one screw made me want to drink.  

Charlie does not really like to hammer.  Or screw.  Or anything that requires use of his hands.  He enjoys dancing.  I don't know why I bothered with this tonight.  I need medication.  Yesterday.  

I would say that he hit this one nail, for about five minutes.  Didn't get very far.  After 15 minutes of mostly me hammering, we had four nails in.  NAILED IT!

Shay has got it going on.  She is better, but even this one they managed to screw up the ladder part on top.  So, she doesn't have one.  

This is a happy scene.  We hadn't started yet.  

They each picked two from the bag of maybe six?  Then, we managed to complete one.  Right, about that.  

He would still be hammering if I made him do it himself.  Geoff took over for me since I got an important call that I had to take.  Bless his heart.  



No comments:

Post a Comment