Dec 18, 2012

The blog in which we need to take the time to teach our children safety. Everywhere.

Home alone.  There's a knock at the door.  I am fresh from a shower, but dressed, sans the jeans.  I run to look out the window, and see a car in the drive, and I don't recognize it.  Not one of my friend's mom vans, and wasn't expecting anyone.  Hmm. Then, I throw my jeans on, and the doorbell rings.  I run downstairs and Brody at my heels, I yell, "Who's there?!"

While we do have a peep hole in our front door, it is about a foot and a half too tall for my 5' frame to see through, and now is no time for grabbing a ladder to utilize it.  My head races, and curses the fact that I am too short, and that the hole is too high, and then, the fact that my ladder is at Jenn's house.  I asked her ex-husband to return it because we have two items stuck up high that require the ladder to get them down, and he told me that he would return it this morning, I assumed at the bus stop, but they never showed up.

At that moment, the person on the other side of the door answers- "It's ....."  Right.  And he has my ladder.  Awkward.  Am I the only person that panics when there is a knock at the door?  I don't know why I am like that.  Nothing bad has ever happened.  I assume someone coming to do harm would not knock and then ring the doorbell after no response, but I guess we can not assume anything anymore.  Sad that we are living in such a difficult time.

However, it only reminds me that when someone comes door to door, please be smart.  Don't let them in your home.  Don't open the door if it is a sales person.  Often, people come as door to door salesmen, and just scope out your home to come back at a later time.  Teach your children that they are not to answer the door without a parent there.  My own children got a "knock" at the door this weekend from their elf.  When I stood next to my daughter as she yelled, "Who's there?" there was obviously no answer.  I knew it was safe, and told her that she needed to back up and that I would answer the door since I was an adult.  She was not happy that I chose to do so.  I was never more proud.

Geoff had the opportunity to serve with the radKIDS program last week.  He truly felt empowered from the time with the group, and loved helping.  One night, he came home to tell me how he acted out a scenario with the the class where he knocked on the door and the children answered it.  He was to grab the children quickly, to teach them that it really can happen that quickly.  I had seen this demonstration many times before, and let me tell you- those kids are shaken.  While we are in a safe environment,  the kids are initially shocked by the event.  Then, it dawns on them- their homes are "safe" environments, and it can happen- anywhere.

radKids is a nonprofit organization that is all over the country, but we are super fortunate to have a group of certified radKids instructors here in Cherokee County.  Consider gifting a radKids class this season.  It will not only give your children tools to be safe, but also, you, the parents.  I learned so much from our class, a year ago, February.  As the children get older, the class morphs to teach things in a way that is age appropriate.  After you pay your initial $60, your children may return, annually, at no charge, as a refresher.  The cost of the class merely covers the cost of the supplies, as the instructors are all there on a volunteer basis.  However, no child will be turned away because of finances.  This exact program is incorporated into the physical education program in nearby school systems, such as Gwinnet County schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment